Monday, June 7, 2010

And The Saint Goes Marching Out...

Coming to the end of my little jaunt with The Saint. I wondered if perhaps his methods might wear on me after a while (like the madcap mysteries with "Bill Shakespeare"), but happily they have not. He continues to charm me right up to the last of the stories contained in this gem of an omnibus. I'm so glad I picked this up on a whim at one of the Red Cross Book Sales a few years ago.

>We interrupt this blog post for a commercial: If you are a book lover and live in Bloomington and have never been to the Red Cross Book Sale which takes place over the first weekend of October each year, then you need to mark your calendar and not let anything keep you away from the next one. There's nothing like it....They take the largest building out at the fairgrounds and stuff it to the gills with books, loads & loads of glorious books. I never come away with less than twenty finds of all sorts.

And now back to our regularly scheduled post: So, as I was saying, my new love is The Saint. I want more of that blue-eyed, dark-haired dispenser of justice (his own brand, you must understand). I'll be on the look-out. For those who have not become acquainted with him, I highly recommend the tale of "The Sleepless Knight"--an ingenious method of making a heartless trucking company director see the light. And it made me wonder if "The Avengers" writers had this story in mind when they came up with the episode "Dead Man's Treasure." I certainly can see connections.

I have commissioned Brad to order up The Saint (with Roger Moore) on Netflix. I'm interested in how the character was handled in the 60s.

While I wait for an opportunity to pick up The Elegance of the Hedgehog from the library (thanks for the recommendation, Katie!), I am reading Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie.

No comments: