Thursday, June 24, 2010

Booking Through Thursday Response

Today's question on the "Booking Through Thursday" Blog: Do you read book reviews? Do you let them change your mind about reading/not reading a particular book?

I read reviews in blogs and those left through Virtual Bookshelf in FaceBook. But I rarely let a review make or break a book choice for me. Usually, I'm just curious to see what a blogger has said in their reviews or, in the case of FB, I tend to see the reviews when I'm entering a book in my "Read" list. It's a little late then. The "reviews" that mean the most to me are those given to me by friends who know my reading tastes. If one of those folks tells me that a book is good, I'll probably put it on my "to be read" list. This almost always turns out well because my friends know me well. I can only think of two books that I just didn't get into that a trusted recommender had steered my way.

I absolutely do NOT pay attention to professional reviewers. The closest I come is reading the blurbs on the back of books. And I do that more for amusement than anything else. I'm going to choose a book based on the synopsis, not because some famous so & so said it was "an awesome read" or whatever.


No comments: