Thursday, June 10, 2010

From "Booking Through Thursday"

I follow a couple of book/reading related sites and this question appeared on "Booking Through Thursday" today:

Do signed copies excite you? Tempt you? Delight you? Or does it not matter to you?

Here's my response (revamped, just a bit):

Most of the signed copies that I have come from dear friends who also happen to be the authors. Not only are the books terrific, but having the signature of authors who are my friends means a lot (Richard Nash, David Wojahn & Scott Sanders to name a few). The most treasured is the inscription and signature from Richard on his Wild Enlightenment.

I have a couple of books that I found in used book stores with signatures that did seem to make the find a little more exciting. On the other hand, there are very few (if any) current "big name" authors for whom I would stand in line just to get their autograph. And there are very few authors that I would get extraordinairly excited about finding a signed copy...Dorothy L Sayers would be one. But I doubt I could afford to buy a signed Sayers if I actually found one.


No comments: