Monday, June 14, 2010

June Thomson Duo

Finished up two mysteries by June Thomson today: The Dark Stream and No Flowers, By Request. The first one was not up to her usual standard. I just really didn't care about the characters much...except for the guy who was going to open up a second-hand bookstore. But then at the end it looks like he won't. Boo. And the "culprit"? (If you read it, you'll realize why the quotes.) Just didn't sell me on that one. Not enough drama; not believable. Two stars out five. The second one was more in line with what I'm used to from Thomson...I've read 3 or 4 others by her. I got involved with the characters and she kept me guessing till the end. I always like that in a mystery. Three stars out of five.

Not sure where I'll go from here. Did go to a bookstore today and picked up a Pocket Edition Agatha Christie (What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw!) and a first edition of the very first Inspector McKee novel by Helen Reilly (McKee of Centre Street). Will probably have more bookstore reports this week--we're on vacation and plan to make strategic day trips to places that just happen to have used bookstores.

No comments: