Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Top Ten List from The Broke and the Bookish: Today's list is Top Ten Books I'd Want On A Desert Island!
I just found this new blog and couldn't resist trying to answer this. Of course, when one considers that I have read & loved thousands of books over the course of 36 years or so, it's gonna be really hard to come up with a top ten.

Okay...here goes:

1. The Bible...a must have. It has everything from mysteries (no matter what definition you use) to poetry. Proverbs to parables. End of the world prophecy.

2. The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I've got to have some humor and I never tire of Adams' British wit. And who knows, the Hitchhiker's Guide may have suggestions that will help me on the island. (I'll be sure and pack my towel, too.)

3. Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers...unless somewhere out there exists a complete works, then I want that. But Strong Poison shows Lord Peter off just as he's beginning to really grow and I love the scene when he visits Harriet in prison--particularly when he says: "I'm told I make love rather nicely--only I'm at a disadvantage at the moment. One can't be very convincing at the other end of a table with a bloke looking in at the door." And Miss Climpson is an absolute treasure. I couldn't do without her.

4. Tristram Shandy by Lawrence Sterne. If only because I keep promising myself that I'm going to read it and I never do. If I were stranded on a desert island, I'd have to...'cuz the girl has to read.

5. The Complete French Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke...again unless there is a complete works of all his work. I love Rilke. I love his rhythm and the visions that he creates in me with his words. I could read these poems over and over. And have.

6. Any of the North books by Richard & Francis Lockridge. I love each and every one of these madcap mysteries. The Pam & Jerry North have Nick & Nora Charles beat hands down when it comes to sleuthing couples. I guess if I can only take one, I'll just close my eyes and take the luck of the draw.

7. The Night Is Large (essays) by Martin Gardner. This is a tough book. Challenging and I'm quite sure I didn't get all that I could out of it the first time. Terrific essays on a variety of topics.

8. The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson...another poet that I could not do without. She packs so much into so few words.

9. Persuasion by Jane Austen. My absolute favorite by Austen (and, of course, I'd be open to a complete works, if it exists...I don't mind huge books).

and.....how in the world do I choose just one more? How?

Um.....

10. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I really like the character study of Dorian Gray. And I love Wilde in general...did I mention that I'd like to take "complete works" of all these authors?

No comments: