Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Very Particular Murder

Currently, I'm reading A Very Particular Murder by S. T. Haymon. For the curious...yes, this is one of my book-binge treasures. I've read both of Haymon's previous books (Death of a God and Death & the Pregnant Virgin) which titles give one the idea that Haymon has a religious theme going. But not really...all of the novels do have a hint (the current book has an odd little reverend among the suspects), but that's not the focus. This one caught my eye at first simply because I've enjoyed the other books. But, once I read the back and discovered that a professor was the victim...well, there was no way this one wasn't coming home with me.

I've had a hard time getting through this one. Not because it's a bad story--on the contrary, it's quite a nice little puzzle. Was the poisoned orange juice meant for the Professor's adopted son as it seems or did the poison reach the intended victim after all? And, in either case, who had the chance to do it? My trouble lies in in not having time to get through it. I've been sidetracked by the real-life mystery called "Can we get my son to the rank of Eagle Scout before his 18th birthday (Aug 15)?" We'll have to see.

In the meantime, I've been stealing time to read this evening while we're in a bit of an Eagle Scout Project lull and have come across this little gem: "A man was dead--the wrong man, it seemed; which must have given those ruddy physicists no end of joy, the random universe behaving randomly."

No comments: