Monday, September 13, 2010

The Shelf of Awesome

I found this post, started by Wit and Sin, via Blkosiner's Book Blog. This is all about the books that you would put on your "keeper" shelf. The books you can't do without--not necessarily because they are all your favorites, but because of different meanings they may have for you. The books that inspire you in some way--to read, to write, to imagine, to love, to smile, to find happiness. Here are mine, using most of the categories I found on Wit and Sin:

Favorite Book(s) of All-Time

Any Nancy Drew--particularly The Clue of the Broken Locket (this series is what really inspired my love affair with books in general and mysteries in particular)
Strong Poison by Dorothy L Sayers
Persuasion by Jane Austen

These Are Classics for a Reason
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Deer Slayer by James Fenimore Cooper (one of the few classic American authors I love)
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The First
You can never forget your first romance novel.
Crimson Roses by Grace Livingston Hill

The Comfort Reads
The books I always return to:
Any Lord Peter Wimsey by Dorothy L Sayers
Any by Agatha Christie
Laddie by Gene Stratton-Porter

Books Mean Love
Or at least they do when your closest friends also happen to be avid readers. These books make the shelf not because of the stories or the authors that wrote them, but the people who gave them to me:
Complete Edgar Allan Poe by Poe (thanks, Nikki!)
Tom Thumb by Clifton Johnson (from my Grandma I)
Laddie by Gene Stratton-Porter (from my Grandma E)
Complete Jules Verne by Verne (thanks, Paula!)

3 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

Great list-- Thanks for participating!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Hello, I Was introduced to you by Brandileigh - some great choices, I also love The Picture Of Dorian Gray.

Kimberly said...

I'm late in replying, but I'm so glad this caught on. It's fantastic to see what books made people's Shelves of Awesome ;)