Monday, September 12, 2011

BBAW: Community

Welcome to Book Blogger Appreciation Week!

This week is all about the people who make this community work – book bloggers! And, the theme for this year is "Community." Each day will have its own featured topic, and today we're out to recognize fellow bloggers who have influenced us and made this whole web-writing, book-loving experience so wonderful for us. If you check out the blogs I follow, I could literally list a hundred or so. But, in the interests of brevity, I'm going to list just a few....

First off, there's my friend Richard. He's not a bookblogger--he's a very wordy picture blogger. And then he really doesn't update that Daily Paxil page daily. Or even monthly for that matter...actually, he's kind of fallen off the blogging wagon. But I'm going to forgive him because if it weren't for him, I would never have ventured out into this wonderful world. I was aware of blogging...but didn't really see how it would be for me. But when he told me about his blog and that I should check out his daughter's blog I did. And then I got curious and started poking around and found a whole bunch of book blogs. A whole world of people who seemed to be just as crazy about books as I am. I got my blog up and running and never looked back.

Then there's Cheryl at CMash Loves to Read. Cheryl is an awesome blogger. She's one of the first blogging friends I made out here in the blogosphere. A lovely lady with a wonderful sense of humor who encourages us all. And
she reads the books I'm too scared to read (all those thriller-type books). And keeps me in line over my classics and vintage mysteries. If I read something too recent, she mother hens me and wants to take my temperature. :-)

And Adam at Roof Beam Reader. Adam helps me with my Classics habit. He and I don't always agree on the classics we read (*cough* Hemingway *cough* for instance). But he has a fine blog and always has interesting things to say.

And Amanda at Dead White Guys who often has me snorting at my desk. She has the most hilarious, yet in-depth reviews for all those classics I love.

And John at Pretty Sinister Books. One of the most awesome sites for vintage mysteries (and supernatural and adventure stories) around. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of vintage books and I've made it my mission in life to find a vintage mystery author that he hasn't already got the goods on. (It's going to be a long mission....) He's also a pretty fabulous guy.

And, last (although I could go on and on and on), Yvette at in so many words. Her blog is gorgeous. She loves the vintage mysteries like I do. And she's a marvelously supportive fellow blogger.

11 comments:

Trisha said...

I only read two of these blogs, so I'm off to check out the others. Thanks for the suggestions. My list of influential bloggers, if you are interested!

Marce said...

Great post Bev, I love your humour in your post.

Cheryl is great, agree.

Need to check some others out.

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful list you got here!

I had a hard time choosing. But I opted for totally unheard of blogs. Isn't that the intention of community? To spread far and wide!!

Here is my post:

BBAW 2011: Community

Chrisbookarama said...

I'm going to have to check out Pretty Sinister Books!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I see a couple of blogs on your list that I've visited...and now I'm off to check out the others.

Here's MY BBAW 2011 POST and
MY WEBSITE

Carol said...

Cheryl is a lovely blog friend.

Although you and I have diff reading tastes I do like to keep up with your posts.

carol

@parridhlantern said...

Some great choices here.

Karen C said...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nise' said...

Love Cheryl too! Off to check out the blogs I am unfamiliar with.

Erin said...

I just came across Amanda's blog a few weeks ago and immediately subscribed. Her combination of humor and depth is amazing! I'm not familiar with your other picks, so thank you for bringing them to my attention. I hope you're having a great BBAW!

neer said...

I whole-heartedly second your recommendation of Yvette and John. You yourself have a wonderful blog too.

Here's my list:
http://inkquilletc.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-blogger-appreciation-week_12.html