Monday, September 19, 2011

Crime Fiction on a Europass: Switzerland

Next stop on our Crime Fiction Europass whirlwind tour is Switzerland. Home to Swiss chocolate and Swiss watches. Swiss bank accounts and the Swiss Alps. My Europass journey takes me along with Patricia Moyes's Inspector Henry Tibbet and his wife as they visit the Alpine village of Montarraz. The Tibbets are on holiday, but Henry is soon drawn into the investigation of the murder of a popular ski instructor. It appears that he was killed by his young wife--upset over his affair with the French film star, Giselle Arnay. But the high-class crowd surrounding Giselle seem overly anxious to see the distraught wife found guilty. Henry's curiosity is aroused and he begins to suspect that a motive other than adultery may be behind the murder.

I have to admit that when I read this I was under-whelmed (pre-blogging days--so I have no review). I am a fan of the Tibbet series by Moyes, but this one just didn't do it for me at the time. The locale is nice and the descriptions do it justice. But I found the murder and the motive difficult to swallow. But, don't take my word for it. Looking over reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads, it would seem that I am in the minority. The average rating between the sites is four and a half stars. And most reviewers say that it is "a cut above."

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

Thanks for the honesty of your comment Bev.