Saturday, November 24, 2012

Color Coded Challenge 2013



Last year I had several folks either discover this reading challenge late in the game or who enjoyed it so much that they asked me to host again.  Just this week I've had requests from the color fans asking for another round. So, for your challenge reading pleasure, I will once again host The Color Coded Reading Challenge beginning January 2013.  Since this is my third year in, I've loosened the categories up a bit--I will now accept any shade of the required colors.

Here are the rules:

*Read nine books in the following categories.
1. A book with "Blue" or any shade of Blue (Turquoise, Aquamarine, Navy, etc) in the title.
2. A book with "Red" or any shade of Red (Scarlet, Crimson, Burgandy, etc) in the title.
3. A book with "Yellow" or any shade of Yellow (Gold, Lemon, Maize, etc.) in the title.
4. A book with "Green" or any shade of Green (Emerald, Lime, Jade, etc) in the title.
5. A book with "Brown" or any shade of Brown (Tan, Chocolate, Beige, etc) in the title.
6. A book with "Black" or any shade of Black (Jet, Ebony, Charcoal, etc) in the title.
7. A book with "White" or any shade of White (Ivory, Eggshell, Cream, etc) in the title.
8. A book with any other color in the title (Purple, Orange, Silver, Pink, Magneta, etc.).
9. A book with a word that implies color (Rainbow, Polka-dot, Plaid, Paisley, Stripe, etc.).

* Any book read from January 1 through December 31, 2013 will count.
*Crossovers with other challenges are fine.

*Everyone who completes all nine categories will be entered in a year-end drawing for a book-related prize package.

*Please post about the challenge on your blog. Sign ups accepted until Nov 30, 2013.

*Please sign up using the Linky below. Give your name & blog (Example: Bev @ My Reader's Block) and use a direct link to your challenge post as your url. Please don't connect to just your home page.  Links to a list on GoodReads or other social media sites are also acceptable. 

*Please use the Review Page to post review links and a final wrap-up post when you finish the challenge.  (click link)  [Reviews are not required--but I would love to see what you think about the books that you've read if you do review.]

*No blog or GoodReads site? That's okay. Post a comment here to announce your entry into the challenge and when you have completed the challenge just post a comment at the review site with a list of your books.

 

23 comments:

Darlene said...

Thanks for hosting again, Bev! I appreciate that you have loosened up the categories. I didn't do so well with this year's challenge, but I'm hoping for success next year!

So, would "gray" fit into the Black category?

Angie said...

So glad you are hosting again and I thank you!!! I only missed one this year! Next year I hope to nail it! Lol. :)

Anonymous said...

This seems like a fun challenge. Going to give it a try! :)

Book Dragon said...

I'm with Darlene on this one...didn't do so well this year!

I'm looking forward to 2013 and may be able to actually finish with the loosened up categories!

Thanks for hosting, I'll be back with a link

Bev Hankins said...

Darlene: I'll take gray as a shade of black.

Star said...

This is going to be awesome!~ Thanks for hosting!

TracyK said...

I have signed up for three challenges for 2013 so far and they are all hosted by you. I am looking forward to all of them.

Bev Hankins said...

Star, glad to have you!

TracyK, thanks so much for joining me in all my Challenge Madness!

Anja K. said...

So happy to see this challenge again for 2013! I finished the last 2 years so I'm looking forward to this as more help in making Mount TBR a little smaller in 2013 :)

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to try some challenges this year, and this one looks like so much fun. I'm all linked up and made my list... which was a lot harder than I would have thought. Thanks for hosting!

CMash said...

Even though I failed miserably in 2012, going to try again. Left the link where I will be keeping my progress and this link is the announcement http://cmashlovestoread.com/2012/12/13/2013-challenges-2/
Thank you for hosting again.

Biondy said...

I have a question. Can I pick a book that has a color in its title but not in English?

For example, can I pick a book titled "Merah" (Bahasa Indonesia), which means "Red"?

Bev Hankins said...

Biondy: Most certainly. Color names are not limited to English.

Gabrielle said...

I think I have a book assigned for each color, though I'm sure a few will change through out the year. Great challenge, I'm joining for the first time and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for hosting!

Abi said...

Oh no, could I still join, I completely missed the party about nov 30th as the deadline...

Brigit said...

I posted my blog link wrong. Can you please remove it so I can add it correctly again. Thanks. Oh, it's bmwheelon #38. Thanks

Jamie Ghione said...

Hi, I want to do this one, too, and have added my link. Will "chocolate" count as a shade of black? And can "ink" be used for the "word that implies color" ?

Thanks,
Jamie

Lesley said...

Thank you so much for hosting this. This will be first year doing any reading challenges, but I'm looking forward to making a dent in the number of books on my Kindle. (Of course if I would just stop downloading new ones, I'd probably have a better chance of succeeding!!) I had a reading day yesterday, in between company, and finished my "Blue" book last night, so I'm off to a great start!!

Bev Hankins said...

Thank you all for joining me!

Dovile said...

Do graphic novels count or must the books be prose only? Because I read GNs too, and I don't know if they count.

Bev Hankins said...

Dovile: If it's a book--it counts. Go for the Graphic novels!

Megan said...

This looks like so much fun!! I can't wait to find books for all nine categories. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm joining a little late, but I guess I've subconsciously been preparing for this challenge. I already have five categories complete! I'm looking forward to finding books to fit the last four.