Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week Julia wants us to reveal the "Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I've Never Read."

I'm kind of afraid to do this...I mean, if I put my list on here, someone from the university may demand that I return my English degree. How could I possibly have earned a BA in English without having read:

1. Bleak House by Charles Dickens
2. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
3. Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne
4. Emma by Jane Austen (I've read Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion, but given how much I like Austen, I'm surprised I haven't read more.)
5. Middlemarch by George Eliot
6. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
9. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (I've read parts, but never the entire thing.)
10. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

When I consider how many of these are Victorian and I consider myself a Victorianist, I am doubly ashamed.


6 comments:

Red said...

Don't worry, they gave me an English degree too and the only book on your list I've read is To Kill a Mockingbird. And I haven't read P&P or Persuasion

Jamie said...

Haha and the secrets come out! :)

I'm kind of shocked about TKAM though!

Thanks for participating this week!

-Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish

Hilde said...

Thank goodness, someone else who hasn't read To Kill a Mockingbird! Treasure Island is on my list too.

Roof Beam Reader said...

A lot of these are on my "list" too - particularly Middlemarch and Bleak House.

I did not enjoy Gulliver's Travels all that much, but I suppose it's a worthwhile read (and quite funny, in regards to social commentary). I'm also one of the few who didn't really like To Kill a Mockingbird Eek.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Middlemarch is a book I'd love to read. If only someone could package it as a 250 page book!

I should compile these lists and make a master list. I see lots of the same titles!

Stop by my blog if you get a chance.

www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I listen to To Kill a Mockingbird on audio books on tape and it is amazing in that format.

OK. So it's Saturday but I still wanted to participate. I hope you are willing to take a look at my top ten "I can't believe I haven't read" books, too.
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/ten-books-i-cant-believe-i-havent-read.html

Anne