Friday, October 15, 2010

Hop on Over


It's Friday again! So that means it's time for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Crazy-For-Books. It's a time to talk about blogging topics and to venture out on the internet and visit other blogs. Visit the link to join in.


This week's question: When you read a book that you just can't get into, do you stick it out and keep reading or move to your next title?


Well, I used to be very demanding on myself and stick it out no matter what. I hated to start a book and not finish it. It must have been my English major training....and maybe, now, if I did book reviews for anything other than fun, I would still be that way. But since I am strictly in this reading, reviewing, and blogging thing for the fun of it, I've decided that there is way too little time ahead of me for reading and way too many books out there to try and read for me to waste time on something I'm not enjoying.


That's not to say that I won't still give it the old college try. I don't have a strict rule about how many pages I'll read before I give it up. But as soon as the reading has become too much like work (ditch-digging, mindless, why am I doing this work), then I'm done. I don't mind difficult (shoot, I just finished Dante's Divine Comedy and that wasn't exactly a walk in the park), as long as there is a reward--learning something, beautiful imagery, great characters, etc. But I don't want to feel like I'm working way too hard for nothing.

5 comments:

CMash said...

Great response. And totally agree especially since my tbr pile, or I should say, bookcase is staring at me. Have a fun weekend!
CMash

Roof Beam Reader said...

Just passing through- already a follower, obviously! Congrats on breaking that 100!

Karen and Gerard said...

I usually give a book up to 100 pages before I gie up on it. "The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks is a good example of one I almost gave up on too early. I kept on to the end and was glad I did. I feel the same way though. There are just too many really good books around to waste time plowing through one I'm not into.

Heather said...

I usually am foolish and still stick it out, the difference is how long it takes me to read it! It may take me years, lol!

Check out my Blogger Hop and Follow Friday HERE!

bibliophiliac said...

Hi Bev, I'm with you--too little time in my life to keep going with a book I don't like. I'm a devoted follower stopping by on the blog hop;)