Monday, October 25, 2010

Musing Monday


Hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading
This week's question: About how many books (roughly) would you say you own? (If you don’t have a clue how many, do you care to know? Why, or why not?)

I own 2173 books. Of those, almost half are mysteries (over half if you count my Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden collections). I have these extensively catalogued on a spread sheet, broken down by genre and duly marked as read when I've done so. (Yes, I'm a little anal about my books and book habits....). I've also logged all the books I've read which aren't mine (or at least I've tried to keep up with that)...starting in junior high.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, I am so impressed by your book cataloging! I have aspirations of attaining that level of organization, but every time I try, I fall behind almost immediately. It must be really cool to have such a detailed record!

Beverly said...

Wow - I wish I would have cataloged better when I was younger. I do currently own just under 6,500 books. I used to catalog on a spreadsheet until I discovered Librarything.com - I LOVE it!!! You enter your books by ISBN and can access your library at any computer that has internet access. I used to end up buying multiple copies of books because I would find something with a new cover (ever done that) and now I can check my librarything before I buy. It's awesome! You should check it out. It's worth a look. You can even get a cat shaped scanner that scans your books for you. I guess I am pretty anal about my reading too - but I think it's great! Happy reading!

CMash said...

Wow...just found out another trait of your's that I admire. I have a little notebook with my wishlist, tbr, and read lists pre blogging. Since blogging, have a spread sheet on the computer. I should really incorporate the 2, but it would take me forever.
CMash