Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Woman in White (aka The Book That Never Ends)

I interrupt this normal blog for a brief, but necessary rant...

It seems to me that I have been reading The Woman in White for several eons. I started it several weeks ago in an effort to earn my MA in the Everything Old is New Again Reading Challenge...and because it's been on my TBR list forever. Or at least since I read and loved The Moonstone. Is it just me or does Wilkie Collins just go on and on and on and on in this one? I'm a Victorianist at heart--or at least that's what I claim. And I normally enjoy the more descriptive, wordy way Victorian writers had...but Mr. Collins is getting on my nerves. Can we cut to the chase? Soon?

And now back to your regularly scheduled blog posts.

5 comments:

Marce said...

And this is why I don't read chunksters.. Plus I don't like description, I like the in your face detail, lol.

I enjoyed your little vent :-)

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks, Marce! If I weren't going to count this one for at least three challenges that I have going, I'd probably throw in the towel.....

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I'm reading it too and it does seem to be taking a while. I'm trying to break it down by section; first I have to finish reading Miss Halcombe's section and then the next and so on until it's done. It is definitely better than Bleak House, a fellow Victorian novel I just finished so it's benefiting from that comparison!

Shelley said...

I've got about 100 pages to go, and I feel the same way! I thought I would like this one more than The Moonstone, but I'm not so sure.
Unless I'm being really spacey, I think this is the first time I've visited your blog. It looks great!

Ruth said...

I will be reading this one soon. I thought I would like it, but now I'm concerned. Oh well, I'll at least give it a go.