Tuesday, October 12, 2010

WWW Wednesdays: Whatcha Reading?


WWW Wednesdays is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading.

To play along, just answer the following three questions....

*What are you currently reading?
*What did you recently finish reading?
*What do you think you'll read next?


Current Reads:
The Divine Comedy III: Paradise by Dante Alighieri (trans by Dorothy L Sayers & Barbara Reynolds). I still need to knock out this last portion both for personal satisfaction and The Really Old Classics Challenge & The Fall Into Reading Challenge. (Over half-way done!)

The Chocolate Cobweb by Charlotte Armstrong: When art student Amanda Garth found out that she might have been switched at birth with the son of the famous artist Tobias Garrison, she turned the bizarre anecdote into an off-beat introduction to this past master of her calling. Once she met Garrison and his handsome son, Thone, she knew she didn't want their acquaintanceship to end. And then Thone's stepmother, plump, motherly Ione, accidentally knocked over a thermos of hot chocolate and quickly as that Amanda was caught in a perilous web of jealousy, suspicion and murder. For only the slim possibility that Amanda was Tobias' child stood between Thone and sudden, violent death.

Finished Since Last Wednesday (click titles for reviews):
Prescription for Murder by Alan Hynd
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Target of Suspicion by John Buxton Hilton
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman
Death of a Charming Man by M. C. Beaton

Up Next:
The Art of the Sonnet by Stephen Burt & David Mikics: A collection of one hundred exemplary sonnets of the English language (and a few in translation), representing highlights of the form, accompanied by short commentaries on each of the poems.

Blameless by Gail Carriger: All of London's vampires are very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto. [This is one of my few forays into Steampunk and vampire/werewolf lit. But Alexia such a wonderful character--I can't resist. And can't wait to start this one.]

The Conference of the Birds: Based on the Poem by Farid Uddi Attar by Jean-Claude Carrière: I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting here (and don't seem to be able to find a decent synopsis). I have this really awesome quote from the poem (that I picked up somewhere in my reading journey) and I wanted to read the whole poem. I'm hoping it's quoted in its entirety in this book. I'll see as soon as I pick up my holds from the library.

I am also waiting ever-so-impatiently for the following requests to become available from the library: Dark Road to Darjeeling by Deanna Raybourn and The Group by Mary McCarthy.


8 comments:

Audra said...

I just finished Blameless -- so good! I was very unhappy after Changeless so it's a relief that the series is still on track. :)

CMash said...

Wow!! You sure have been busy!! The giveaway for Love Always starts tomorrow, so stop by.
CMash

Gigi Ann said...

You have been a very busy reader. Enjoy your reading this week.

shaunesay said...

Wow, you finished quite a few last week! Did you do the read-a-thon, or just get on a roll? Of all those I've only read Rebecca I think, not my normal type of read, but it was interesting.

My WWW is here if you'd like to drop by!

Jennifer-Girls Gone Reading said...

Wow! I am impressed. Congrats on reading a ton!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

This does not sound like any kind of slump. How do you read so many books in such a short time? Tell me you are a book editor and read all day for your job, please!
-Anne
HeadFullofBooks

Bev Hankins said...

@Anne Bennett...no slumps here. I haven't had one for a while. I just squeeze in reading whenever I can. My husband drives us to work...I read. On my lunch break...I read. Every minute I can get. I wish my job were as a book editor....

lulilut said...

Great books! I really enjoyed Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier!