Sunday, December 19, 2010

Take a Chance (3)


You'll never guess....I'm signing up for another challenge. (No, Bev, really? Surely not.) Jenners over at Life...With Books is hosting a third round of her Take a Chance Challenge. I had eyed her 2010 challenge, but had come across it late enough that I didn't think I could do it justice. And now she's decided to sponsor it again. I put up a mighty battle...telling myself that ten challenges ought to be enough for anyone. But who am I kidding? I can't resist. Especially after doing the Random Bestseller for Challenge #10 and coming up with a book on my TBR shelf that I'm longing to read. I mean, it's fate, right? I need to do this challenge.

Here's the challenge in a nutshell: It's all about taking chances with your reading. Jenners has posted ten challenges with different methods of finding books to read (Best Seller Lists, Staff Choices from libraries/book stores, getting a recommendation from a loved one, etc). You can do as many of the challenges as you want, BUT if you do all ten then you'll be entered in a prize drawing. The challenge runs all year in 2011. For the complete details, click on the Challenge link above.


My List:

1. The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys [Staff Pick local library] (1/28/11)
2. Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon [Recommended by a dear friend] (2/11/11)
3. How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu [Book Blogger's Choice: "Best of 2010 at The Book Lady's blog] (4/10/11)
Bonus Read: The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman [not a "Best of" Choice, but recommended by DJ's Krimiblog] (2/15/11)
4. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman [Critic's Choice: Top Ten of 2010 as chosen by NY Times Critic Janet Maslin] (5/2/11)
5. Hot & Bothered by Jane Isenberg (7/9/11) [Book Blurb (find a book with a blurb from another author; read a book by that author)--blurb found on The Last Matryoshka by Joyce Yarrow]
6. The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time by David L Ulin [Book Seer suggestion because I finished Howards End Is on the Landing by Susan Hill] (6/7/11)
7.
The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell (6/8/11) [What Should I Read Next? suggestion because I finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Sutterfield]
other suggestions: The Savage Garden by Mark Mills; The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay; or The Conjuror's Bird by Martin Davies
8. Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro [Which Book pick] (3/5/11)
9. The Book Thief [Most Reviewed] (8/31/1)
10. Robert Kennedy: In His Own Words by Edwin O. Guthman and Jeffrey Shulman (eds). [Using the Random Org link I was given the year 1988. This book was on the New York Times NonFiction Best Sellers list during the week that has my birthday in it.] 7/19/11


Post site for Challenge Posts

Okay. That's it. The only other year-long challenge I will sign up for will be the Support Your Local Library Challenge....if it gets sponsored again. I am taking the pledge. No More Challenges. Come slap me if I don't keep my word.

CHALLENGE COMPLETE 8/31/11

4 comments:

Birdie said...

Come slap me if I don't keep my word.
You do realize that is a dangerous thing to say....LOL

I've been waiting to see if you'd cave on this one. *giggle* Congratulations on 11 challenges for 2011

Christine said...

Hi Bev.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog the other day. This challenge is such an interesting one. I went a little challenge crazy in 2010, so am trying to keep things a little more simple this year... uh.. I don't know if that's gonna work, but we'll see. I'm curious about this one though, so will click over and find out more.

I see you joined the What's in a Name 4 challenge at Beth F's blog. I had so much fun with that one and am definitely doing it again in 2011.

Happy reading! :)

Bev Hankins said...

@Birdie. Yeah. I'm gonna have to be careful, 'cuz you would SO take me up on that, wouldn't you?

Jenners said...

Well, you can't fight fate, can you? I'm happy to "officially" welcome you to the challenge! I can't wait to find my books ... that is the part I like best about it.