Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Setting


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we are asked to give our Top Ten Book Settings.


1. A flat in Picadilly, London circa 1920s-1940s. Home of Lord Peter Wimsey. I want to hear him play the piano. I want to immerse myself in his library. I want to listen to him talk piffle and then turn around and be brilliant in solving a case. I want Bunter to bring me tea.


2. 221B Baker Street, London circa late 1800s/early 1900s. The most famous flat in London. I'd even put up with pipe smoke if I could see the Master at work. And, I'd also like to visit Victorian London.

3. Oxford, England. Home of Oxford University. But more importantly the home of many detectives such as Inspector Morse and Oxford don, Gervase Fen. The setting for many a British academic mystery....and the place where Harriet Vane finally comes to her senses and accepts Peter Wimsey's proposal of marriage.

4. The "Haunted Bookshop." (from the book of the same title) I want to meet the owner. He talks about books the way I feel about books. I'd like to take up residence in the shop and just browse to my heart's content. I'd like to be given the book I need and not the one I want (as the proprietor would put it).


5. New York City circa 1940s-1950s. I want the New York of Pam & Jerry North (stars of a series by Frances & Richard Lockridge). I want to go to the Charles for dinner. I want to visit Jerry's publishing business (and maybe convince him to publish that little mystery I've got in the works).

6. River Heights. Home of Nancy Drew. I want to live in a town where everybody knows and helps everybody and the bad guys ALWAYS lose.

7. The moors around Dartmoor. Home of the Hound of the Baskervilles. A spooky site that I'd want to visit just to say I have--and to admire it's terrible beauty. But only if I've got a good guide so I don't go under the mire.


8. Cape Cod--home of Phoebe Atwood Taylor's Asey Mayo. I've always wanted to visit the East Coast. And it'd be good to see Asey's stomping grounds.


9. The library in
The Name of the Rose. Who wouldn't want to see all those books lost to time?

*****Spoiler******

But I'd have to find a way to stop the fire. I couldn't bear to see them go up in flame.


10. Scotland Yard. Of course, what would this list be for a British mystery lover without the shrine of British detection? But only if I can venture in when Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn is on duty or Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley or any of Agatha Christie's various inspectors or....

6 comments:

Trish said...

Old London would be cool, and also old Paris. That haunted bookshop sounds fabulous too! I could really spend some time in a place like that.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Things always look rosier in the past. Not sure why that is....

Red said...

I hope you make it to the east coast and get to visit Cape Cod at some point! I love being able to visit a location and connect it to a book.

Yvette said...

Oooh, oooh, good ones, Bev. I love the idea of Oxford and also The Haunted Bookshop! We both posted the Baker Street address!

OH, River Heights. Nancy Drew. How could I forget? And Pippi Longstocking's houseboat!!! You didn't mention her but I definitely should have. :)

bibliophiliac said...

How could I forget River Heights! And I want to drive there in a blue Roadster!

LBC said...

Very specific. I like some 19th, early 20th century England as well.

Check out my list here