Saturday, December 30, 2017

Dread & Read Challenge



J.G. over at Hotchpot Cafe has come up with a nifty idea for a challenge--it sweetens the deal for readers who have books that they keep planning to read (for challenges that demand, personal growth, a need to read all the things, it's a book that everyone has read, etc.) and for whatever reason we just keep putting them off. It's the DREAD AND READ CHALLENGE

This challenge encourages us to move past the avoidance by adding a sweetener--a little prize for reading that bad book that keeps scaring us off.  Find out more and join in at the link above

Here are the books on my Dread list:

1. Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin (7/22/18)
2. She by H. Rider Haggard (7/17/18)
3. Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler changing out for 
     Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett [same hard-boiled genre] (11/12/18)

The first two books are classics that I keep putting down for challenges that require various classics and then I chicken out and replace them with something else. The third is a hard-boiled detective novel that I keep telling myself that I'm going to try--because Chandler supposed to be so good. But I don't really like hard-boiled, so I keep putting it off. Maybe this challenge will help me get these done.

For a sweetener (and even though we can have up to three, I'll just ask for one)--I'll take anything book-related that J.G. wants to send my way. Why don't you come join us?

1 comment:

J.G. said...

Yay and welcome! I think you'll like this one and I'm glad you're along for the angst (such as it is) and the relief! Your choices sound perfect--they just need that little extra push.